counter

Thursday 23 February 2017

The future, is it a promise or a threat?

There are few conditions which bring out the humility of medical researchers as does PD. In 2011, Dr. Oz predicted on Oprah that significant progress would probably be forthcoming in PD within "single digit" years. I have read a lot of "fake news" regarding cures, but as yet no real news concerning improvements that would make life better for PWP.

Come on Dr. Oz, give it to me straight. I can take it.

I am 7 years post diagnosis and these past few weeks have not been good to me. I feel like I grow weaker by the hour and balance is starting to escape me. I am planning 2 plane trips this summer and today, I mulled over cancelling them. Can you imagine being off balance in the airport lines, going to the bathroom on the plane (that picture is almost laughable), and just to add a touch of excitement to that adventure, getting off the plane.!?

I am in agony at the moment and I am supposed to have breakfast with an old friend in the morning, but that is looking shaky too. February has been prairie-tropical, but the cold has returned, leaving streets and side walks covered in ice. Therefore I am pretty much house bound . It's a good thing I like TV. My daughter gave me equipment designed to be strapped onto shoes and with the help of the metal, spike-like protrusions on the bottom, make walking easier. But what do I do when I get to the restaurant?

It is not all bad news because fortunately, the drugs control my other symptoms, but, of course I fear that may change too.

The future? I try not to waste my time on the future. I appreciate my past; I can put up with my present, but the future is blurry at best.

With that, I conclude my therapeutic rant for today.

Wait a minute, one more thing. I would like scientists to use the future perfect tense when making their predictions. Certainty is what I require.

PS - I should have explained, my "agony" was not caused by PD but shovelling snow - wet snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment