counter

Saturday 3 March 2018

A treatise on Strength (or how I lost my manhood)

It is a strange feeling when you know your wife is stronger than you. She does CrossFit three times a week. You understand what that means, don't you? It means she gets the equivalent of being kicked in the stomach every day she goes for training ....but she keeps going back for more. She is 69. Yesterday she did 55 squats with 20-pound weights and 55 burpees. She has deadlifted 160 pounds. She is not trying to get muscular; rather, she wants to stay in shape.

CrossFit is her weapon of choice and her joy. It is also her therapist. She always arrives home alive and happy no matter how bad the day has been before her session.

Then there is me!

I used to be quite athletic. I was a decent runner. I was provincial race walk champion in my mid-forties. Then I had to give up running because of falls. Race walking went next because my balance was "iffy". Finally, I tried walking with Nordic Poles. I was good at it and achieved some speed but, after a year or so, that too was a thing of the past. The problem with the poles was, I had trouble stopping unless I ran into a wall or something.

These days I do weight training, chi gong, treadmill and stationary bike but, after the heart scare I was instructed to keep my heart rate under 100 beats per minute. HRUUMPF $#@$#$%%!!!

Well, I still have boxing. I returned after a 3-week absence full of hope only to find that my left arm, the one that had caused the heart scare, was so weak, I couldn't lift 5-pounds above my shoulder and my jab! Well, it was non-existent. I intend to continue because it is also my joy and occasionally, my therapist.

I received a lot of goodwill when I returned. As one instructor said, "Don't worry, it will all come back". That energized me. I appreciate his optimism and will keep on trying to keep going, at least until I am as strong as my wife. I don't know if that will be possible, she is known as the "beast" by crossfitters in her age class.

I blame it all on that all-consuming pain in my ass, the invader known as Parkinson's.

Isn't it time it left me alone!!

I may have to set my wife on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment