counter

Friday 9 March 2018

My computer beat me in chess but it was no match for a jab/cross combination

Community: (n) A community is a group of people who can teach us something new, make us laugh even when we are having a bad day and who are there for us when we need a little encouragement.



1. When I was first diagnosed I felt....not much really.  There was no drama.  It was as if the neuro had said to me, "I hate to have to tell you but you have an ingrown toenail."  I knew nothing about PD except that Michael J. Fox, Muhammed Ali and Hitler were PWP and they were doing OK (except for that Hitler guy). Sure my hand tremored from time to time, but hey,  I could handle that.  No problem. But then, I got curious and started researching, only to conclude that having PD was not a good thing.

2. D-day (diagnosis day) + 21.  In my third week, I read that exercise, eating well and social discourse might well slow down the progress of the disease.

3.  Social discourse!!!

4.  I lived in the same house for 40 years and never learned to be social with any of my neighbours.   Social discourse indeed!!!  As soon as it has been reliably ascertained that pigs can fly, then, and only then, will I try to improve my social graces.

5.  You should join a Parkinson's group, somebody offered.  Hmmmm, that's an idea.  But wait!  I just didn't think I needed one and so I quit looking.  I convinced myself I could handle this newest threat to my cushy life on my own.

6.  Then I got a pamphlet for "Rock Steady Boxing" and my curiosity was piqued.  Boxing for PWP. A solitary sport with people who could commiserate with me. Exercise and social discourse - almost a singularity!  I liked the sound of that.

7.  To make this epiphany short and sweet, I joined Rock Steady and there I found a community as I have defined it and I hope to stay in that community for a long time. It will make my journey easier. Take the advice of an 8-year veteran.  Find a group, any PWP group and get involved.  It is part of the "healing process".

The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members - Coretta Scott King

No comments:

Post a Comment